Meeting of Wednesday, 17 January 2018
Rue Dansaert 6
Pre-meeting dinner starting 18:00 at the nearby Mamma Roma
For our first meeting of 2018, we chose a very special venue: the legendary jazz bar L’Archiduc, close to the Bourse. Behind its iconic blue façade hides an Art Deco interior that hasn’t changed a bit since the bar opened in 1937. L’Archiduc has since then attracted a myriad of musicians, from Nat King Cole over Arno to Lady Gaga.
We can’t wait to see how this rich heritage will infuse our prepared speeches and in-depth evaluations. For sure, our Table Topics won’t be the first bit of improv that this place has seen in its long history of jam sessions!
Workshop on the elements of style
Every Artful Orators meeting is built around what we call the ‘AO Special’, a short workshop on a specific aspect of public speaking. This month, Colm Kehoe will lead an AO Special entitled “The Music of Eloquence”, exploring the elements of style in speeches.
Style can be compact and solid or loose and conversational. It connects with everything we do when writing a speech, when delivering a speech:
- How important is the order of the points we make, the words in our sentences, the ways we choose to sall y things? The rhythm? The figures of speech we use?
- What happens if we use an abundance of figures of speech? Does this make our speeches sublime or does it make our speeches ridiculous?
- How important is our phrasing? Which of the following is better: “How long will you abuse our patience?” or “You have been abusing our patience for a long time” ? Which would you write?
- How many brilliant thoughts should a speech have — one or more than one? Do many brilliant thoughts in a speech ruin it or make it even more appealing?
Colm will be our guide in exploring public speaking from its historical origins in Greece and Rome until the present day. What can we learn from the earliest masters of public speaking — Plato, Aristotle, Demosthenes, Cicero, Quintillian? We can see so much more when we stand on the shoulders of these giants!
Join us at L’Archiduc on Wednesday 17 January to explore the magic of public speaking and the music of eloquence:
- If you are a member of Artful Orators or another Toastmasters club, please register on easy-Speak.
- If you are new to Toastmasters, you are most welcome to be our guest. Just let us know that you will attend.